Each national contest will be able promote ten images into the international level of contest. The international jury, made up of at least five members with different skills and backgrounds, will determine the winners of this final round out of the nominated images and award the prizes.
The jury will determine the winners of the international contest taking into the consideration the following criteria (in no particular order):
- Technical quality (sharpness, use of light, perspective etc.);
- Usefulness of the image for Wikipedia.
The international jury consists of:
- Piotr M.A. Cywiński is director of the Auschwitz-Birkenau Memorial and Museum in Poland, historian, former board member of Wikimedia Polska and active contributor to the Polish Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons.
- Diego Delso is a Spanish electrical engineer in electric cars development, amateur photographer and active contributor to Wikimedia Commons and the Spanish Wikipedia as “Poco a poco”. Diego has uploaded more than 9,000 pictures, of which more than 2700 have been declared ‘Quality Image’.
- Diego Eidelman is an Argentinean photographer and journalist, and has worked as photographer for the Direction of National Heritage and Museums of the Secretary of Culture of the Argentine Nation.
- Pierre-Selim Huard is engineer in green aviation development but also a dedicated amateur photographer, and contributes high quality pictures to Wikimedia Commons in topics such as sports, museum items and cultural heritage monuments.
- Heta Pandit is chair at India’s Oldest Maritime Museum in Nhava, Maharashtra. She’s a published writer, academic, heritage activist and heritage preservation advocate – she has been involved in heritage preservation and protection since 1981 in Bombay and Goa.
There were also two Special Juries for the Special Awards.
The special jury for Arabic speaking countries:
- Abbad Diraneyya (عباد ديرانية) for Syria
- Walaa Abdel Manaem (ولاء عبد المنعم) for Egypt
- Nadir Daoud (نذير عبود) for Jordan
- Tlili Wissem (وسام تليلي) for Tunisia
- Fareh Abdelhak (فارح عبد الحق) for Algeria
- Bachounda Mohammed (بشوندة محمد); non-voting coordinator
The special jury for East, Southeast and South Asia:
- Pavithra Hanchagaiah from India
- Hempal Shrestha from Nepal
- Ian Felix Alquiros from the Philippines
- Michael Morrissey from Thailand
- Karthik Nadar; non-voting coordinator